Hyvää Joulua

Click to enlarge image.

Herzliche Weihnachtsgrüße is German for Best Christmas Greetings.
Hauskaa Joulua is Finnish for Good Yule.

In Finland, these little holiday gnomes are called Joulutonttu, or Christmas elves. Similar to the elves that work at the North Pole, these folk figures hail from Lapland where they assist Joulupukki, the Finnish Santa Claus. In Germany, it is said that if you whisper a wish to a gnome on Christmas Eve, on Christmas day it will be granted ... it's quite contrary to our American garden gnomes, as I'm fairly certain they're plotting some sort of coup, led by the Roaming Gnome, of course. What is he really doing with all those frequent flyer miles? Seems a little suspicious to me.

Mixed media collage. ©Chandra Orr/Junkmill


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! If your comment includes a question, rest assured that I read each any every submission, and I will get back to you promptly. Thanks for checking out my blog!