The Witches Sabbath

Click to enlarge image.

A delightfully creepy image from Victorian illustrator Arthur Rackham, who worked mostly in pen, India ink and transparent color washes to create his signature sinister style. This image didn't make it into Junkmill's Rackham collection, but it's so charming and just right for the season.

My favorite book as a child was a collection of Hans Andersen fairy tales featuring color plates of Rackham's illustrations. I don't recall reading many of the stories at a young age, but I spent countless hours staring into the strange and beautiful realms captured on those plates. It's taken quite a beating (and lost its dust jacket along the way), but this book remains one of my most treasured possessions, and my appreciation for the inscription from my uncle continues to grow: Never forget to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! If your comment includes a question, rest assured that I read each any every submission, and I will get back to you promptly. Thanks for checking out my blog!